Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Haunted

I'm being haunted by thoughts of this 20 year reunion and by these dreams I have been having of Karie. It looms like a big black cloud. And Karie, well I just can't save her. I keep trying, in different ways each time, but she keeps choosing to stay. The dreams are a leading factor in why I have been having trouble sleeping. Well that and D being on call and his cell phone ringing in the middle of the night and the wee hours every night. Sheesh. Worst on-call week ever.

20 years. Wow. Seems like an entire lifetime ago that I walked out of the school doors and into the world for the final time. Yet, like a blink of an eye. So here it comes. Well, maybe. Seems that no one is really planning anything. The person who did almost all the work on the ten year does not want to be stuck doing all the work for the 20. So I volunteered to help. As much as I can, anyway, living in a different country and all. So party, or no party, it still looms. It's out there.... making me feel old. Flooding my brain with memories of dreams, hopes and aspirations unfulfilled. Showing me how that girl back then and I have very little in common now. She was limited by so much. She had no faith in herself. So insecure. She beleived herself unworthy of love, and incapable of love. She beleived she would never find someone who would love her. She didnt want kids. Here I am. Confident, self assured. Loved and loving. Worthy and capable of all He is willing to give. Blessed. Sickingly happily married with 4 kids. Still learning, laughing and loving life daily. Yup, not a lot in common. Guess 20 years isn't so bad. Maybe I am not so old.

And, the dreams. Haunted? Not by a ghost. But, by my own feelings of guilt. I know, logically, that Karie's death was not my choice. I did try to reconnect with her. I could feel her, ya know? Like... she was crying out and somehow, I could sense her and her need for a true friend. I tried to reach her. She held back. She always did when she needed help the most. But, I can't stop these feelings of, if only I had tried harder. If only I had pushed a little. I was so worried at the time, when I was trying to reconnect, that if I was too pushy, I would come across as needy or annoying and she would just shut me out. Little did I know, that she kept me at a distance, cuz she was in real trouble. If only I had tried harder. We used to be so close. And we had always kept in touch, but Karie kept me at a distance. Small talk and reminiscing. Did I do and say all I could have to let her know that I was here for her? That all she had to do was let me in, even a little and I would be a solice for her. I could feel her. But I could not save her. Now she is gone and all I really want is to tell her how much I care. So, I dream. I dream that I can save her. I dream that she lets me try. But in the end, they are all the same. She chooses not to let me help her. And I awaken with that same feeling. The one where I feel so helpless to help my friend. And now she is gone and its too late. It was her choice, but I can't stop putting some of the blame on myself. If only.....

5 comments:

liz said...

You did what you do best, you loved her.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Kristi said...

first of all I have to say......

YIKES!!!!

I just did a post this morning on dreams. I hadn't even read this yet. Freaks me out sometimes you and I.
Clearly you need me right now.
Muck I am reaching back.....

second...I have more of a response to the rest of your post, unfortunaly I have tuned in too late in the morning to get all my thoughts togheter in time before work.

Take care in the day.
I Love You!!

shari said...

I'm not in a bad place here, really!! I just have had this on my mind and with me, whatever stuff is on my mind, it comes out in my dreams. I'm just talking out my feelings and thoughts. After all, they will just keep circling around in my head, driving me crazier every day, until i get them out.

I'm already getting some clarity for myself. I have actually slept the last two nights and last night i dreamt of karie, but she was just there, off in the distance. She looked at me and smiled. I waved. That is all I remember.

Anonymous said...

oky. I must be on Crack!

I'm sure I left a response last night. I put a bunch of thought into it and everything.
Where the Hell is it?

Kristi said...

oh good for me!
There's that one but I didn't sign in!
What a Boob!