imputation
Ever look in the mirror and start analyzing and critisizing yourself? I have. Many times. It starts with the lines around my eyes, goes to my hair, my waist and eventually moves inward to my very character. I list off my weaknesses and my less than ideal qualities. And then there are the echoes and scars of when others "helped" me with this list. When I am done, there is not much left. How can one see so many negatives in their own reflection? Why can't I see the good things that others see in me? Why can't I see myself the way God sees me?
affliction
Too many times we criticize others. With our words, we pass judgment and wound. Sometimes, our thoughts are even worse than what we say. Scars left behind by hurtful words are only reminders of what that person already 'knows' about themselves. So many people are only too happy to dish out their opinions, thinking that it is such a great quality, their "honesty" and "outspokenness". Sometimes, these are wonderful and well used qualities. Sometimes they are nothing more than weapons carelessly wielded. The thing is, that the worse we can dish out, still isn't as bad as what a person tells themselves. Yet, we feel like we are helping by pointing out the mistakes and the weaknesses.
provocation
In a day and age where so many are being trampled in the race to keep up with the Jones', we need to lay down our weapons, and lift each other up. There is a whole world out there to beat us down, but in the end, it's only the relationships in our lives that will matter.
reflection
Some years back, while dealing with the loss of a loved one, one of my closest friends gave me a note of encouragement. I still have it, along with another letter of encouragement from another of my closest friends written during a dark time of my life. I read them every now and then. They can be very uplifting, even all these years later, reminding me of how others see me. Their words were gifts. Glimpses into God's view of me. Their words lifted me up, when the world was beating me down. It's been a long time since I have had one of those talks with myself in the mirror. I am sure not planning on having one anytime soon. Nope. Gonna go read a letter a friend gave to me once. Maybe even write one for someone else.
3 comments:
Very wonderful post Shari.
I agree with Michelle. Could be the start of a book.....
thanks Michelle and Char!!!
Post a Comment