Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Smorgasbord (sp?)

So my dad gave the kids a birdfeeder for Christmas. He designed and made it himself. He made a frame to hang it from. So we hung it in our back yard. The frame is double sided, so we put the feeder on one side and can hang those seed bells, or suet thingies. My parents live a six hour drive north of here, so they came down in october and we did Christmas then, as they dont travel much in the snow anymore. So it's October, lots of birds around still. The children really enjoy watching the different kinds of birds stopping by. The big ones struggling to hold on to the ledge as they eat. The little ones hoppin around on the ground underneath picking the fallen seed. They emptied the feeder in a couple of days. The seed bell in under two weeks. So we refilled the feeder and this time it lasted almost two weeks. Then it hung empty for awhile. I was out of seed, and kept forgettting to pick some up. So I recently bought bird seed again. A seed and fruit bell, and a peanut/suet thingie. I hung it all up out there. No activity. There really arent a lot of birds around right now.
So I'm making Vicki's breakfast this morning and I hear this funny sound from my dining room and I know the birds are back. How do I know? My cat is sitting at the sliding glass doors making her funny little hunting sounds as she watches the birdy smorgasbord in the back yard.
I am hesitant to let her out, but I cant really keep her in all spring/summer/fall so out she goes. It turns out that she is was just window shopping this time. But, **sigh** I predict a long spring/summer/fall of cleaning up little carcasses and guts off our deck.

4 comments:

shari said...

Just an after thought on this one... it really is a beautiful feeder my dad made. And we really do enjoy the birds. Don't want to sound ungrateful here.

liz said...

julius accually brings the birds into the house, and they are usually not dead yet. then he drops them and we end up with a bird flying around the house hitting the walls desperately trying to find a way outside. gotta love cats.

Kristi said...

are you able to put it up higher?
Or maybe in a place where Max is not able to perch herself so easily.
Birds aren't stupid. They'll put out the word that a cat lives there and they'll just be careful of the times the go.
The stupid ones will get eaten. But they would have gotten caught even if the birdfeeder wasn't there. Cause they be the dum ones!

shari said...

the bird feeder is a pretty good design. Max can't get up to it. She just waits for the birds who sit on the fence near by, or are picking up the seed that fell on the ground.
Funny story... Max was sitting on the fence by my sunflowers one afternoon. A little bird was going from sunflower to sunflower. This went on for at least half an hour. I could almost see the drool on Maxi's chin from the house. Anyways, Max flew through the air and snagged the bird, seven feet off the ground, in mid-air. Poor bird, but boy was Maxi proud of herself.