Thursday, April 05, 2007

That's What It's All About


Sam-sam's Mom is coming to visit her this weekend. She will be staying with us and enjoying spending the first Easter with Sam since D and Sam moved to Washington, six years ago. Sam's Mom (Minnesota-mommy: MM) is so very excited. Sam-sam is as well. I quite like MM since having gotten the chance to know her some. She is a very pleasant lady, with a quick smile and an easy laugh. She and Sam-sam have such similar personalities. =)

We sure get a lot of strange responses from people over this situation. The one where we invite MM to stay with us when she comes to visit. One of D's acquaintances told him that it seems crazy, because his wife would never allow his ex to come stay with them. We heard things like, "my spouse would probably kill my ex", "I don't trust him/her," "He/she would probably rob us blind", or "I wouldn't want them snooping around my place." To which I mostly reply, "that's too bad. We have purposely worked towards an openness between us all (all parents and stepparent) for the best interests of our children."

We certainly didn't get here overnight, and it was a long road. Longer for some than others. But, here we are. And hopefully, our kids come out the winners for our efforts.

It's not about us. It's about a little girl who loves her Mommy and only gets to see her twice a year. It's about a young man, who needs to know that all his parents are a team, and work together to support him. It's about a young woman, who needs to feel 100% safe in two homes, with two sets of parents, without emotional manipulation, or guilt trips, so she can be a 15 year old girl and not a pawn in her parents' war. It's about a little 3 year old girl, who is watching everything we do and is learning how to relate to people through the example we give.



It's about love.


.

6 comments:

L&D said...

Wow. This is truly inspiring.
I do not have a blended family so my complications are just different, and WOW, I do admire the way you guys are with each other. That is amazing...so rare. Kudos to you. You're so right. it's all about love.

PS. I love the new template.

shari said...

thank you! =)

Anonymous said...

yes, you all have worked hard and through some tough, icky stuff to provide a safe and loving environment for all those kids.

love you.

love the new template too. way cool.

liz said...

you are truely an example. Your kids will benefit greatly. Love you guys!

Kristi said...

WoW....you have come a long way.


I wiould have to say...there is no way I could do it. A woman my love shared his life with and a child.... I would say tooo cozy for me!
However....if it works for you and all involved FANTASTIC!
and you are right....all those kids, especially the yongest are learning from your example.
Hope this weekend is Wonderful for you all!

God Bless Muck

Susan Kirchmayer said...

great stuff shari. we are now able to share family events with the girls dad invited too. we often get strange comments, but life is much to short....
and it is good for kids and grandkids to watch....