What is it with kids and their chores?????
Last night, as we do many Thursday nights, we went to our small group. We left right after dinner and returned quite late. (took us forever to work through our chapter last night) When we returned home, the house looked like a tornado blew through there. Lexi did not finish her after dinner chores and Sammantha didn't even start hers. I was so close to going upstairs and dragging them out of bed to finish their chores. I also considered waking the girls up an hour early this morning in order for them to finish/start/do their chores that they neglected last night, but really that is just punishing me. Get up at 5? AM? I don't think so.
It wouldn't be so bad if they usually did their chores with good attitudes and didn't have to be reminded EVERY night to do what they are supposed to do EVERY night. And if I hadn't heard all the excuses before, I might not have been so pissed. But, if I hear, "I forgot" one more time, I am going to lose it. Oh, and this morning, Sammantha tells me, as I am moving pots out of the sink so to make coffee, "I didn't do my dishes last night, cause Lexi didn't start clearing the table until 9:40." She said it very matter of fact. I must have tensed up. Because she gave me a lot of space after that. In my head I was thinking, "what the hell were you still doing up at 9:40 to know that is when Lexi was just starting her clearing? WHAT WERE YOU ALL DOING?" Well, someone was on the computer. And considering that both Josh and Lexi are grounded from the computer and the computer is off limits during the week except for homework anyways, not a single one of them should have been on it. I'm going to have to start taking the power cord with me when I do places. AAAHHHHHHHHH!
So I am going out today. I have tasks to take care of. Errands to run. Time to kill. Cause if I hang out at home, I will do their chores. And THAT would only reinforce to them that if they are lazy, someone else will always clean up after them.
So what are the natural consequences for shirking (sp?) your responsibilities? Lexi is already grounded for a month and she is doing everyone else's recylcing/garbage chores for a month due to two completely different things. *sigh* Anyways, I think the best course of action is MORE chores. They think they have too many responsibilities just cause they have to clear the table and wash the dishes???? Oh I can show them how easy they have it.

**evil laugh**
Oh yes. I can indeed.
9 comments:
A friend of ours is celebrating his 39th birthday on Saturday, March 11! Please stop by and wish Jeff of “So I Go” a Happy Birthday and remind him what a wonderful writer/blog friend he is.
http://soigonow.blogspot.com/
uhoh. don't make Mom mad!
I think I would have been pulle dout of my bed. I never dared to not do them though. No TV maybe?
Put a lock on the door to the computer room.
so i guess no awana....
you go girl... :)
lock on the computer room door? that's what we did.
Be consistent. Make the punishment fit the crime. The amount of grounding you are doing you may have them grounded nonstop until college! achhhhhhhhhh!
Don't do dishes? don't have clean dishes to eat from? Is there a way you could do that? For sure a lock on the computer room door or carry the power cord with you at all times. Maybe you could "forget" to cook for them. No, family time around the dinner table is important.
Guess I don't have any answers for you but you will be able to muddle through somehow. We all do. They aren't bad kids after all. They are just testing your rules and learning to be independent. This too will pass.
Oh the joys. The things I have to look forward to....
well... family meeting tonight to discuss it. Gotta love how the kids being away every other weekend puts these things on hold.
Anyways, looks like allowances will be suspended until they change their attitudes about their chores.
Friggin teenagers.
I'm sorry you are in Hell!
Both ends of the spectrum in that house.
Send them here one at a time for the next few weekends. They can help me in the yard and scrb the basement floor and laundry and dinner and......
well i have a dishwasher, but....
I'll Auntie Kristi them the good old fashioned Satriuday nazi way!!
Post a Comment