Some years back, when my life was in utter turmoil, and sought out an escape. I ran away. Literally. I knew I was coming back, or at least thought I was. I packed my bags in about 15 seconds flat, grabbed some money, jumped in my car and left. I needed a sanity check, so I went to Liz. She could see that I was completely serious about going. Where? I knew and yet I didn't. She decided that I shouldn't be alone at that time, made arrangements for her kids and jumped in the car with me. Mostly, I think this was her way of guaranteeing that I returned home. So we drove. It was slightly humorous as we crossed the border from Canada into the USA, and the border guard asked where we were going. I'm not really sure what I said, but I remember that my first thought was, "I don't know. Somewhere different. Just away."
I drove through the night. It was dark by the time we crossed into Oregon. Didn't really see much of it, but DANG Oregon has a lot of bridges. Liz had fallen asleep and woke up just we started across yet another double decker bridge, and being that she is quite claustrophobic, she had a small panic attack. I just talked really loud to her constantly until we were on the other side. She was eventually able to fall back asleep.
I woke Liz up as we crossed the border into California. I have to say that northern California is really quite beautiful as the sun rises, kissing the mountains with the days first light.
The California desert, though, not so beautiful. Wholly carp batman it was hot out there. Liz was driving as we crossed through the desert, and I was supposed to sleep. By the time we found a place to stop and buy something to drink out there, I had stripped down to my underwear. Sorry you had to see that, Liz.
The traffic was crazy as we headed into the valley towards LA. Liz was driving and not too happy about that. I seem to remember some colourful words and hair raising moments as we attempted to cross lanes and catch an exit off the interstate.
We spent a couple days in Pasadena. We didn't explore much beyond there, as we were low on money and not overly excited about heading back into that traffic.The drive home was a challenge. We were tired. I was anxious about returning home and having to deal with life. Didn't really see Oregon again, as it was dark the entire time as we drove through it. We did stop for gas and a bathroom break somewhere in Nowheresville, Oregon. We asked where the washroom was. The attendant shrugged and said, "well, its over there, but its out of order cause the sink is all backed up," (long pause), "again." Imagine that with some unidentifiable drawl and you can understand why we laughed at the poor attendants expense the rest of the way home.
I don't recommend running away from home when life is messy. But, I have
to tell you, I learned a lot about myself on that trip. I learned that I can drive through 2 1/2 states on pure adrenaline. I learned that a friend will go half way across the earth with you on your insane quest for .... Well I didn't know what my quest was for. I learned that I don't want to run away from life ever again, but sometimes a change of scenery can help you get some perspective.I learned that I absolutely love road trips!!! Woooooo eeeeeee!!! All stupidity aside, that was one hell of a ride.
Every now and then, I look at my husband and think, if only we could just jump in the car and go. Head somewhere new. Just the two of us. Put some miles between us and the bills. Create some memories. (no kids on this adventure though, they make way too much noise)
6 comments:
Wow, that was quite an adventure. I understand the urge to run though. I'm not sure I would have the guts to go, as far as you did anyways. I am however glad you came back!! Sometimes just an afternoon "off" helps me to think and re-center myself.
I have been told that the lets just jump in the car and go thing comes back...it's called retirement..lol
SIGH
dont know if I can wait that long, but definitely look forward to that freedom one day.
I've never heard that story. How wonderful!!!
What an adventure that was!
BUMP!
trucks tip over.....
lol
LOL
what? no bra?
what? no bra?
LOL!
I had forgotten that one!
Post a Comment