Friday, June 24, 2005

Adventures in Camping, Part Two

Day Three:
So much warmer than the night before. Darin got up with Vicki and started the kettle. I went to have a shower. The showers require tokens, so I get in there, strip down, put my body gel and squooshie in the shower, drop the tokens in the box, go to grab my shampoo and conditioner.... WHERE IS IT? Oh no... I have to wash my hair!!! Well, I'm naked and the water is already running, so I jump in... and out of desperation, wash my hair with body gel. It worked ok. My hair had a very funny texture to it afterwards. I could mold it into all kinds of funny looks.
So we pack every one into the van and drive over to the actual Deception Pass. We walk out onto the bridge. It is very high and those currents way down there are very scary. Poor Josh can barely walk on the bridge. He is scared of heights, but only certain kinds. Bridges are one of them. He did glance down for about 10 seconds and then continued on his way, moving very slowly and hanging on for dear life. Rumor has it, that they used to run logs through the pass in a rather unique way. You see it is too dangerous for boats most of the time. Boats must pass through during slack tide. Well they used to run these logs through there, by dropping them in a certain spot on one side of the pass, and the current would suck them right under the water. Then they would be shot out of the water on the other side of the pass. SCARY!!
It was getting mighty warm, so we headed back to camp, played a few rounds of bocce ball, had lunch and then went on down to the lake beach. Vicki had a marvellous time. Darin and I got a little colour in our otherwise glow in the dark white skin. The big kids only lasted about 1/2 hour at the lake and they took off to go to the ocean beach to climb rocks. We stayed with Vicki at the lake until she was shivering again, then went back to camp.
Darin built a fire and then we made dinner. We figured a way to get Vicki right up to the table to eat with us, so now she ate a decent meal, finally. Mmmmm, grilled chicken and mashed potatoes.
While sitting around the campfire making and eating "schmoes", Darin and I drank some wine from our plastic mugs (somehow it just isnt the same like that). Everyone was talking and laughing. Awweee, warm fuzzies.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I'm thinking that sounds familar.
Didn't you do that when we camped at Loon Lake too??

shari said...

It seemed a little deja vu... so maybe!