Day One:
We all slept in. A lot of clouds in the sky and somewhat chilly out. Hmmm....
We are finally out of the house and on our way. The kids are very excited. They are extremely impatient with the stops we have to make on the way, but I packed food, so I just throw them some morsels when they get snarly.
As we pull into our campsite, Darin turns up his "everything sucks" dial and complains about how the site is not the way it was described when we reserved it. Its too small. It's not level. The ground is too hard and keeps breaking our tent pegs. (ok, that was frustrating, even for me) What the hell? I realize that I forgot our pillows. So now I am setting up our bed in our tent, and ask Darin where his bag is. WHY is it my fault that you forgot your bag on the bed at home? Crank up the dial a little more.
He has decided he will drive all the way home to get the stuff after dinner. I point out that they close the gates and he won't be back in time, so he decides to go in the morning.
No campfire. We had no room to pack firewood, and it costs $5.00 for a little bundle of wood. Without campfires and roasting marshmallows, its just hanging around outside, being dirty and eating crappy food.
The kids are having a great time. They like exploring the beach. They didn't forget their pillows.
Day Two
Can't seem to get warm. At least Victoria slept good last night. I was very impressed with how she went right to bed and slept all night.
We made a list of things for Darin to grab from home and off he went. The kids eat their little boxes of cereal, we wash the dishes and go to the beach. Victoria is scared by the waves. They are quite large and loud. She is not fond of loud. Then the jets start flying. Oh yah, there is a naval base right beside the State Park. Victoria is very scared of the loudness of the jets. Try explaining to a 17 month old that they are planes.
Sun is shining. Gotta like that!
The sea life is cool. Mostly sea urchins and crabs. Vicki likes all the rocks. But she is getting very tired now, so back to camp we go. The kids are hungry so I make us all sandwiches. I have one complaining cause she doesn't like sandwiches and the smallest one keeps knocking her food off the plate, without her high chair to sit in. Victoria and I go take a nap together while the big kids head down to explore some trails.
Darin returns. Campsite is empty. I hear him mumble "Happy Father's Day to Me", CRAP. Damn Damn Damn. I forgot the Dad-day cards at home too.
But his spirits lighten with how excited everyone is that he brought extra blankets and firewood!!! Back to the beach we go. Can't find the big kids. They have gone exploring again. Darin and I let Vicki explore along the ocean shore. She does not like the ocean water. So we decide to go check out the lake. It is much much warmer in comparison. Not only does she like this water, she seems to have no fear of it. We didn't plan for her to swim, so now she has a wet diaper that has tripled in size and is covered in sand. She is having a blast, but the sun is getting a little low, and she is shivering, so back to camp we go.
The firewood is being difficult. Although, it looks like its burning to me. But the flames are not high enough, apparently. Still, the "schmellows" are yummy and the kids are cracking me up with their weirdness. It's been a good day.
.
5 comments:
ahhhh.... adventures with kids.
It sounds like you got off to an interesting start!! I've found that with kids everything is bigger. Going camping used to be throw a tent and some clothes in the back of the car, pick up some food along the ways and your good. Now everything is so much more complicated, it feels like a big undertaking to go anywhere now!! Glad you guys had a good time!!
I'm still trying to understand why use tent pegs......
Sounds like a good time! I can't wait for camping this year. So exciting!
Did you go to Whidby Island? or is it Deception Pass. 'Cause that all sounds familiar to me....hmmm. I seem to remember little black snakes too.
Deception Pass State Park is on Whidbey Island and Fidalgo Island with the Pass dividing the two islands. It's right in the middle between Anacortes and Oak Harbour. But, thank God, no little black snakes on our vacation.
Post a Comment