I love this time of year. The sun is shining. Everything is so green. The soil calls and beckons for me to go dig my hands in.
Two months ago, I had resigned myself to the fact that I wouldnt be doing any gardening this spring and summer, what with not knowing when we would be moving, or where. But now, the promise of soil in my fingers renews the gardener within. Our new landlord gave me the green light to do whatever I wish with the yard at our new place. There are some existing garden beds and a lot of potential! I am planning a hedge and flower beds. It will be a little late to start a vegetable garden, but there is always next year. I know exactly where I want to plant my sunflowers and pansies. (A couple of my favorite flowers) I can already picture Darin's bleeding heart plant in a showcase spot in the back yard. I had yet to figure out where my columbine, hydrangea, lavenders, and rhododendrum will go. But I can't wait to get started.
So what are some of your favorite flowers and plants? And why? I love sunflowers. All varieties of them. They look so striking and strong as they reach for the sun, their petals contrasting against the blue sky. I also love pansies. They look rich with their velvety soft petals of bright colours. Even most guys have a favorite. So do share!!
Two months ago, I had resigned myself to the fact that I wouldnt be doing any gardening this spring and summer, what with not knowing when we would be moving, or where. But now, the promise of soil in my fingers renews the gardener within. Our new landlord gave me the green light to do whatever I wish with the yard at our new place. There are some existing garden beds and a lot of potential! I am planning a hedge and flower beds. It will be a little late to start a vegetable garden, but there is always next year. I know exactly where I want to plant my sunflowers and pansies. (A couple of my favorite flowers) I can already picture Darin's bleeding heart plant in a showcase spot in the back yard. I had yet to figure out where my columbine, hydrangea, lavenders, and rhododendrum will go. But I can't wait to get started.
So what are some of your favorite flowers and plants? And why? I love sunflowers. All varieties of them. They look so striking and strong as they reach for the sun, their petals contrasting against the blue sky. I also love pansies. They look rich with their velvety soft petals of bright colours. Even most guys have a favorite. So do share!!
From last years garden:


6 comments:
I've never cared much for gardening, but am finding recently I've been wanting to start a flower bed. I am completelly clueless when it comes to plants, and planting, and am not even sure where I would start!
Michelle, start with containers. That way you are starting small. Use large teracotta pots. In one plant thyme, greek oregano, garlic chives, parsely or cilantro and lemon basil - a spaghetti pot! Use your herbs in sauces, salads and breads. Then plant a couple other big pots with whatever annuals you think are pretty. In the fall, you can bury a few bulbs in the pots for the next spring. You'll get to see in a very easy way if you like gardening, and your plants don't get eaten quite as fast as they do if you plant them directly in the soil.
Containers are the perfect way to start. Another you might like to start with is the ever-bearing strawberries. They are perfect for containers AND you get to eat the berries!!
http://t.webring.com/hub?ring=holymotherofgod1
Well, Shari, I was going to send you an email until I realized I didn't know your email address !
I have a Web Ring and was wondering if you'd like to join in with me, Freewriter and Sassy ?! I'm hoping this Web Ring group will grow, so we can all meet other bloggers and create a community ring that links us all together. If the link above doesn't work, come to my blog and click on JOIN MY WEBRING at the top of the page.
..And no worries if you don't want to join, I won't take it personally !!!!
Hi Shari, I got your link from MIchelle's blog too! I am a new gardening. Bought some planets that will expend on their own!! Can not wait to see them grow!
Love reading your blog!
I live in an apartment and have never listened to my urge to plant. I want to on the balcony but there is so many rules with strata. I want to buy a house!! Oh well, I have a roof over my head....
I love sunflowers. My mother-in-law let me plant some in her garden last year.
Post a Comment