Thursday, February 10, 2005

shopping nightmare

I never thought it could never happen, but it did. I went shopping and couldn't wait to be done. It wasn't fun at all.
It all started when my 9 year old ended up missing the bus and I had to drive her. It threw my whole morning off, because I only have a small window of time that Vicki is self entertaining in the mornings where I can have a quick shower without her tearing the house apart. But we were driving Sammantha to school instead. So when we returned we had breakfast. Vicki decided that she was going to take nearly an hour to eat breakfast. Then we had a little play time and got her settled in with some toys and books. I went and jumped in the shower only to hear her in the bathroom opening the cabinet doors. So after I told her 20 times to close the doors, I lost my patience and raised my voice to a new decibel which scared Vicki to tears. She stood there crying and I couldnt get out of the shower to comfort her, what with the shampoo in my hair and all. Then she went running off. I hurried through the rest of my shower, threw on my towels and went to look for her. She wasnt with all her toys and I couldnt hear her crying. I went in her room and there she was, hiding behind the rocking chair, tears still streaming down her face. So I was feeling like I should get the bad mom of the year award for making my one year old cry and not comforting her. She had to comfort herself by hiding behind the rocking chair.
So far.... GREAT morning.
After a long cuddle and some more playing, I tried to rescue my hair which is now sticking up all funny from being wrapped up in the towel too long. Meanwhile, Vicki is dismantling her room. She is unpacking all the stuff off her shelves and keeps bringing me her diapering stuff. Baby powder, diaper ointment, cotton balls... Finally she brings me the baby oil. When I scolded her yet again, and put it all back, yet again, I guess my tone of voice was more than she could handle, still not quite over the earlier episode and its back to crying and running to the rocking chair. Back behind it she goes. My award just got bigger. More cuddling and eventually we are ready to go.
We get to the first store and I cant get my stroller open. After fighting with it for 15 minutes, I finally find what is catching and get it open. Meanwhile Vicki has fallen asleep. Great. But its a long drive into civilization for us, so I put her in the stroller and in we go. We spend over an hour in the stamping store, because she is trying to climb out of her stroller the whole time. At one point, she stood right up in her stroller and fell out on her head. She wasnt hurt, but it scared her good. Me too, I might add. So once again, I am the bad mom. Only this time I have many witnesses who are all scowling at me. In the end, I only got half of what I need for my project, because we had to leave. Neither Vicki or I could take it anymore.
We shared some lunch, or I should say, I ate and Vicki had a few bites here and there in between making faces at all the people and yelling at the kids. So finally, I am satisfied that she ate enough food and we continue on our way. Vicki is in much better spirits now that she has some food in her belly and a bottle to suck on. I managed to get a few more needed items when I realized that I have only 35 mins, to pay for my items, get out to the car, pack up Vicki and stoller and make the 30 min drive back to pick up Sammantha from school. This is when Vicki decides to pull half the clothes off some racks!!
Anyways, we made it just in time to pick up Sammantha. We get home and I get hit with the girls ganging up on me to have pizza for dinner. But after the day I have had, that doesnt sound like such a bad idea. I phone Darin, he says he will pick it up on his way home. We ate pizza and watched a movie. Vicki went to bed. I folded more laundry and was never happier to climb into bed at night and be done with a day.
Oh and ya, new headache... only I am pretty sure I know what caused this one!!

No comments: