Monday, February 14, 2005

A Day of Love

As another commercialism Valentine's Day rolls by, I have to admit that, although I don't have need of flowers/chocolate/fancy dinner out/jewelry/gifts, I still want it to be recognized. It's funny that, although I know my husband loves me and adores me, I still need a silly piece of paper that somebody neither of us knows designed and machines made to validate our love.
It's quite stupid really. I spent 30 mins one afternoon, perusing chocolate, to choose just the right ones for the kids and Darin. I spent much longer than that at the stamping store trying to find that special stamp to make Darin's card with. (the supplies to make a card cost about 4 times as much as buying one) I feel like everything has to be just right in order to catch the true sentiment of my heart. And my husband will go out today (procrastinator hehe) to spend money on a commercial card, also trying to capture that sentiment. The thing is that there are no words that can catch the capture the depth of our love and commitment for one another. No words can replace the look in the eyes, the tender touch, the gentle kiss dropped on your lips as you pass one another in the hall, the phone call to just say hi, or a zillion other ways love can be expressed each day.
One of the best pieces of advice we received during our premarital counseling and again in our newly married bible study was to take the time to learn each others love language. Everybody has a love language. That is all those little ways that your partner can express their love to you. For some nothing says love like thoughtful gifts. Others may need to hear the words often. Or, like for me, it is more in the actions. My husband validates our love most by his actions. His coming into the kitchen and helping when I am cooking, or by helping out with the chores. He recently told me that he wanted me to assign him a weekend chore, like the kids have. He feels that, particularly in the winter, that he doesn't do much household stuff, so he wants a chore. The reality is, there really isn't much for him to do as far as household chores go. But the fact that he wants to speaks volumes to me. For Darin, I can express my love for him best by just spending time with him and giving him my attention. Its all about the little things for Him.
It also applies to the children. I have four kids. Each of them completely different from the others. They each have their own love language, but one thing that they all share is the need for time and attention. If I am able to find ways every day to give each of them that, then they should grow up feeling confident in the fact that they are loved.
So knowing all of this, why, oh why do I still fall prey to Valentine's Day??? Why do I have this need to know that my husband took the time to pick out a card??? Why do feel like I have to buy something for kids? Am I so weak as to fall prey to the greeting card industries plot? How do they do it? How do they manage to make us feel unworthy if we don't receive a card, or gifts of some kind on this day? I know its a ridiculous day. Ask any single person. They can see it for exactly what it is. And yet, here I sit thinking, even as I write, that I still haven't gotten Darin some chocolate and his card isn't quite finished. In fact, I'm going to go now, and try to write some amazing little poem to put in his card that somehow, magically says everything he already knows, or at least should know if I am doing my job right as his wife.
So off I go... a slave to commercialism... ugh.. I hate that.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I too cannot stand how commercialism has played a part in the level of L'amour that we show our special someone on this day.
I would rather it be done as much or as little as said someone feels. Rather than being measured by some invisible ruler that if you don't get the flowers, chocolate and jewelry you are obviously not loved. Or not loved enough. he did what! What a jerk! That is a load of crap!
If you just do what you feel not what you are supposed to than isn't more real? Doesn't it mean more?
i don't like to celebrate V. day for that reason. I don't want to feel like I 'Have To' I would like to 'want to' and for my partner to feel the same way.
It sucks that even though you and I feel this way that becasue of the outside pressures in society we too still get pulled in. "If I don't get anything I suck large ranch animals" Yet its still there. WE get sucked in as much as the next person. I hate it.
How do we measure up? Whats on the love-o-meter??
Bah Humbug!!!
Hey maybe I'm just bitter.