the Challenge - for 1 week, do a small random act of kindness each day; or 1 big (interpret big however works for you) act of kindness, and when appropriate ask the recipient to pay it forward.
Headed out on my lunch break today, with the intention of finding someone I could do something nice for. I was thinking I would pay for someone's lunch at a local fast food place... On my way, I pass a homeless family, asking for more than just money, but for help with a job or somewhere to live. I don't have those resources, but the gentle nudging my head & heart said to do something. I was near a grocery store, so I went in and bought a $50 gift card. my thinking is that it wasn't a lot, but it could buy some fresh fruit, milk and/or juice for the children if nothing else. Maybe some toiletries.
I drive up and wave to the family to come over and the lady comes over and I give her the card. She thanks me and returns back to her family. The man looks at it like I just offended them. Although, as I drive away, he nods an aknowledgement to me, and I smiled and nodded back, I am left doubting. Did I make a wrong choice? Was a gift card not that helpful when what they really need is to get money together to pay rent? Shouldn't it feel good to try and help?
Maybe I am reading too much into the look on his face. Maybe the humility of begging for his family, with his children there is more than he can bear.
Thoughts?
3 comments:
What my mother always tells me is to "Give with an open hand"...
If you give with a "closed fist" your fingers point back to yourself.Meaning you expect something in return (she says even wanting a thank you is not open.).
Sometimes this is hard for me,I'll give and then wonder if it was the right thing or if it really made a difference.
But I guess the truth is you should give with no attachment that's how pay it forward works.
You did your part so don't let it stop you the next time you go to give.
great truth! thank you for sharing.
I am not discouraged from giving again! =)
i am sooo Random.......
Post a Comment