Friday, August 04, 2006

Water, wine and feline

So, it was my 3rd anniversary a couple days ago. Wooooo!! I had this great dinner planned, chicken roll-ups in wine sauce with rice pilaf and mixed salad. Something chocolate for dessert (which I would have bought, cause I'm not big on the baking). It was going to be great. Then the thing happened....

my basement flooded. So when I should have been preparing the meal and making myself look fab for my man, I was bailing and mopping and not at all impressed. It seems that along with our awesome old house came some not so awesome old pipes. All our water from he kitchen and laundry drain into one drainage pipe. That pipe also has a drain in our basement floor. When I do laundry, the old pipes can't handle that much water draining into them all at once and it backs up the floor drain a little, then drains away. Well, on Wednesday, it all backed up into my basement and did not drain away. So, thank you God, my neighbor came over with his mighty big shopvac and got all the water out. Meanwhile, the landlord is not home. Darin is working 2 hours away and I can't get a hold of Josh to come help me. I sent Vicki next door to play because I can't run water, as any water I run comes up through the basement floor. FUN. Not. Anyways, eventually, the landlord got home, got my messages, and got the Roto Rooter guy to come clean the pipes so they will drain again. Old cast iron pipes, he tells me, can be this way. They swell inside and close up over time. Well, who the heck ever thought it would be a good idea to make pipes out of stupid swelling, closing cast iron anyways. I would like to have a word with them! So anyways, we got away with minimal damage. It just smells really bad in my basement. Especially in the office where the computer is, as the carpet got all wet and takes a long time to dry afterwards. We've had fans running in our basement every since and my electricity bill is going to be ugly when it comes. But I am grateful that most of our stuff is stored in plastic bins, and there fore we didn't get much damage.

So after all this is taken care of, and I have a minute to breath and think about dinner, its already 6:00pm. I smell almost as bad as my basement, I'm sure. I have nothing made and Darin is working late, so I scoot off to Safeway to find something quick and amazing and romantic. I buy some bacon wrapped shrimp skewers, some wine, some appy's, a card and head on home. Darin beat me home, so I didn't get to have a shower before he saw me. We opened our appys and wine up. Neither one of us felt like sparking up the grill for the shrimp, so we went and got a pizza, watched a movie and fell asleep on the couch. LOL. Such a romantic and exciting anniversary. We agreed to just postpone our celebrating until next weekend on our little getaway.

Last night we went out for dinner with our best friends, Sharley and Dennis. We all came back and threw a movie in ((George Lopez.. He's pretty funny)). Darin has been working huge overtime all week this week, so he fell asleep pretty quick once the movie went in, so D and S snuck out to go home. As they were leaving, they found a kitten outside our door, crying. Sharley scooped it up and brought it in, asking if I knew who's it was. I knew nothing. She made doe eyes at Dennis. He said no. So kitty was put down outside and they went home. This morning, as I was making darin's lunch, I could hear a kitten crying. I went and opened my front door and there is the kitten. She came running up to me. I of course did the right thing and left her outside, so she would go back home. NO!!! I picked her up, brought her in, and fed her. Poor thing was starving. She then kept rubbing up against my legs as I continued to make darin's lunch. Then went and hid under our couch. Purring very loudly. Oh, I know that I have sealed the fate of both kitten and us by bringing it in and feeding it. We are now going to end up with an adorable little tabby, unless its rightful owners show up looking for it. It is still playing in my garden outside. I put it out, but it just keeps playing out there, running from door to door every now and then to see if I am there. Hehe... Darin went to work shaking his head. No. We agreed to wait until we had our own house before getting any pets. But I could see, as he played with it, that he is already falling in love with the cat that isn't even ours.

Soooo... If I just keep feeding it...

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Bitch & Fuck about the basement!
how much does that suck Large Ranch animals!!!

The kitten.......
oh Muck. Now you don't have much luck with these fine cute furry little creatures.
However, maybe its a stray jsut weaned from its mommy and needs to be adopted and loved.
Tabbys are adventureous wee things. And I know you and everyone in that home will love it to bits!!

liz said...

happy anniversary guys!