Thursday, June 01, 2006

Legacy

Losing someone you care about really gets you to thinking. While standing beside Karie's grave on Tuesday, I was struck by the beauty of all the flowers. Karie loved flowers. She often had fresh flowers around her home. Karie loved all things beautiful. But, what really struck me was how those flowers were a testament to the legacy she leaves behind. Karie was beautiful. Inside and out. Karie's legacy is love. The flowers will fade, but Karie's legacy will not. It will live on in her girls and in the lives of the people she touched.

It got me to thinking about my legacy. If I were to die, what would be remembered most about me? What impact did I have on people's lives? Will my children remember that I loved on them, or chores and groundings? Will people see flowers as a testament of my inner beauty, or will they just see flowers?

I had always hoped that my life would mean something. I am sure we all start out that way. I have been slowly reading "The Purpose Driven Life". It stresses that our only real purpose in life in the one God chose for us. What people think of us is of little importance. I beleive that. I do. But, I still can't help but think that if I am truly living for the purpose for which I was intended, then I will leave behind a legacy. You can't live for God without touching peoples lives. Unless you are a monk devoted to prayer... but I digress. What I am trying to say is that the legacy we leave behind should reflect how we lived our lives. If you live only for yourself, people will notice and that is what they will remember.

So what will my life reflect? If I were to die tomorrow, the most important thing I would want remembered about me was that I loved my God, my husband, my children, my family and my friends. My prayer is that my legacy is love. All else fades like a flower.


When your life is over and your time is done,
Will the world know you loved the Son?
Will your legacy speak of truth and love?
Will your loved ones know that you wait from above?
Do you show them love in every possible way?
Do you show them love each and every day?

Show them love,
right down to the final hour.
Show them love,
all else fades like a flower.

2 comments:

steph said...

Be on guard
Stand firm in the faith
Be men of courage
Be strong
Do everything in love
1Corinthians16:13-14

Kristi said...

I'll say waht i said in my grad thing.........

"I just want to be remembered...."