Monday, March 06, 2006

To blog or not to blog

I've been considering taking a break from blogging. I'm not really getting anything from it. I don't really seem to have much of substance to say. It's gotten quite boring, really (in my best Simon Cowell imitation).

Then, this afternoon, I sat down and cruised through some of my friends blogs. I am reminded that there is more to this blog thing than ranting, whining and superficial discussions of pop culture (although those are sometimes fun, I admit). I see some people sharing the real truth of their hearts. I see them working through their stuff. I see beyond the blog and into the real person behind it.

I wish we all had been blogging, 7/8 years ago, when my world started to crumble and my marriage was falling apart. I wish I could have been real with my friends about what was really going on with me instead of smiling and talking about superficial things so as not to let them see the real me. I wish I had had the courage to talk about the pain of depression, desperation and loneliness I felt during that time.

Instead, I walked away from everything. I walked away from the part-time job that I loved, because I didn't want those in my office whom I loved and looked up to to see how broken I was. I mumbled something about needing a break while I worked out my stuff. I should have asked them for help. I let them down and myself down that day that I left.

I walked away from my marriage, because in order to make it better I would have had to admit how much pain it was causing me. That would have exposed not only my pain but my weaknesses and bad choices as well. So instead, I continued to self destruct. I turned more inward. I built more walls to keep everyone out.

I walked away from friendships, because if I was honest withmy friends, and vulnerable with them, they might tell me what I needed to hear, or they might hurt me. Either way, I was scared to death of being vulnerable and even more of letting someone see it. There were some who heard stories and rumors about me and I was so into retreat mode, that I never even tried to tell the truth. I never gave them a chance to love me through it.

I walked away from my church, because whenever I tried to worship there, I was exposed. The tears would flow. God wouldn't let me hide what I was so good at hiding from everyone else. There were people there who hurt me. There were people there who I had hurt. It became so painful that stopped going.

I got so good at keeping everyone away that I ended up very much alone, save for one or two that I didn't push out of my life. Every bad choice I made hurt me more, and made me retreat into myself more. In the end, by the time I was finally ready to get real, I had no church, a crappy job, an even crappier car, an ex husband, two hurting kids and only 3 friends to be real with (one of whom is now my husband). Through it all, I knew God was there for me. He didn't smite me or forsake me, but to turn to him was to allow myself to be 100% vulnerable. And that was what I was most scared of.

It took a long time to start tearing down my walls, and let people in. It took a long time to be ok with being vulnerable. Although in my most honest moments, I will still confess that I hate being vulnerable and it is often easier just to deny my feelings. So now I have come full circle and say once again, I wish we had these blogs back then. Maybe then, I would have had the courage to be real and vulnerable, like I see many of my friends doing now.

I love you, my friends. Blog on!

7 comments:

Kristi said...

oh Muck!
i do wish the blog was there for you then too.
I wonder though if you would have been able to expose yourself.
As it is a hrad thing for you to do even now.
Then again....
an anonymous rant, vent or whatever under an assumed name may have been the best thing for you.

Blog on my Muck! You are by far boring. You are my friend.

shari said...

hehe.... certainly can't be boring if i'm your friend.

Who knows if a blog would have made a difference or not, but I see how bloggers inspire and help each other to be real. I am proud of my friends who stay real. =)

love ya.

Sue said...

Shari, it was hard at that time to know how to reach out to you. Blogging would have helped I am sure. But the journey is not done yet. We have so much to learn from each other, and that can only happen when we are willing to be vulnerable. I praise God that He has brought so much healing to your life and that you have been so open here in your blog. It has been good to find you here again. Love you girl.

shari said...

love ya back, Sue.

Anonymous said...

100% vulnerable. Tough. even when we think we got it mastered. God brings people into our lives that won't let us hide. I am sure that you may find that it is harder to hide now then it was then.
Keep being an inspiration.
(((HUGS)))

Mandy said...

you are an amazing woman and i'm so proud to have you as my friend. :)

Anonymous said...

love yah Shar