Wednesday, January 25, 2006

musings from an evil step-mother

Been reading the book "the Smart Step Family" by some guy... lol... I'm too lazy to go upstairs to look at it right at this moment. Now, I have only read the first chapter, but it seems to indicate that this whole step-family is really really hard. Hmmm... am I doing something wrong? It just doesn't seem like all the horror stories that I have heard. It's really quite nice at our house. Lots of love and fun and the usual family stuff.

Oh sure, there are some unique challenges that couples who marry before there are children don't have. Like the honeymoon phase. There isn't one when there is an instant family. And there is a definite learning curve when dealing with step-children. You don't have the history with them. You have different traditions and habits. But mostly, our family is just ... well... family.
I am so grateful for our family.

And I am so grateful for our children's other parents, whom we have not just amicable relationships with, but I would venture to say, even friendship. Of course that didn't happen instantly, but overtime we have put all our differences aside for the best interest of our children, eventually get along and even become darn friendly with one another. I have grown to really like Sammi's mom, and grandmother.

There is no, hers, his and ours at our house. They are just ours. We are just family. I feel so blessed.

I sure hope that when family and friends visit our home, they can feel it too. The love. The connection. The sense of family and home.
My prayer is that when our children have families of their own one day, they will look back and remember that darin and I loved one another, and loved each of them, fully and unashamedly.

*sigh*

I love my family.

No comments: