Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Signs of the heart

I have been teaching Victoria baby signs since she was 6 months old. She started using her first sign at 9 months. That was a long 3 months of hearing Darin's sceptism. But when she first signed, "more"... well... it was a small victory!! Anyways, she now signs 6 basic signs. I think its time to start expanding...
yesterday morning, I went in to cover her up, thinking she was still sleeping and looked cold, but she lifted her head as I aproached and let out a squeal of delight to see me. (it is wonderful to be sooo appreciated) I proceeded to take her out of her crib and take her over the the bed to change her diaper. As I layed her down and started chatting with her about our day, she started signing for 'bath'. She does love her baths. Then I mentioned breakfast, so she started signing 'hungry' and then 'please'. I showed her the sign for eat, so she did that too. Saying "eat. eat. eat" as she ran (yes, running is her latest new thing) down the hallway to the kitchen.
Later while shopping, she started signing 'cookie' as we walked down the cracker/cookie aisle.
This is the first time that she has signed without it being in response to a question. She signed with a vengeance all day long, reminding me that I need to learn new signs to teach her.

2 comments:

shari said...

I talk about it quite often... maybe you aren't listening

Kristi said...

that's Awesome Muck! remember when Charlotte signed?
She was doing it at 5/6mnths. Just a few to get by.
So long ago.......
Of course she started her first words at 10 months. So the signing vanished very quickly. she did everything early.(sigh)
I miss the quieter times.